Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Shop Table - Installing The Doors

Well, the doors and drawer fronts are out of the clamps and ready for action. This round will be all about installing the doors (we'll get to drawer fronts soon). This is my first time installing European style door hinges, so this should be interesting for both of us. I have, however, installed 'regular' hinges many times. I'm guessing the process is similar.

Before I get too far along, I want to treat the edges of the doors and drawer fronts. This will be a simple round-over made on the router table. I want to ease all four edges of the 'outside' (the face that you see when the cabinet is all closed up). It's an easy setup and operation, but it adds a lot to the look of the panels.



Here's the installation of the doors. I won't go through all of the measuring, math, head-scratching, math and measuring I went through to obtain the locations of the hinges and holes, let's just pretend they magically appeared. I use these numbers to first locate the top hinges on the face frame, then mark and drill 1-3/8" dia. cup holes in the back of the door panel for both the top and bottom hinges. I then attach the hinges to the door, making sure they are perpendicular to the edge of the door. Next, take the door to the cabinet opening and install the screws for the top hinge. Lastly, pre-drill holes and install the screws for the bottom hinge, which was just attached to the door only moments ago.

And there you have it...perfectly aligned door hinges without a jig and very little monkey business.






Here's the cabinet with its new digs. It takes me awhile to get over the change that having the doors installed makes. I have to confess, I stood there for about 15 minutes just staring at it. I'll install the drawer fronts next, if I can tear myself away.

2 comments:

melly~ said...

so woodworking is like knitting in that way! doncha just amaze yourself sometimes?
looking good Mr. Wilson.

CS Wilson said...

You're right! Woodworking is just like knitting...with sharper tools. And thank you for the kind words.