Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Shop Table - Final Touches

The edging is made using 3/4"x1" solid wood. They have been cut to length and mitered using the plywood/hardboard to get the actual dimensions. The idea for the edging is to cover the edges of the plywood and to provide a way to contain the hardboard.

Here are the edging pieces installed. They were set by using a small-ish piece of 1/4" hardboard to align the top of the edging with the top of the hardboard and glued and pin nailed to the plywood edge. I didn't use the final piece of hardboard because I don't want the glue squeeze-out to permanently attach the hardboard. Once the glue had a chance to set-up, I then installed the hardboard.

For right now, the hardboard will just sit on top. I want to stain and poly the edging, so for now, it will float.





I had to do a little bit of trimming around the edges of the hardboard to get a nice, snug fit.







And here it is. Done. I'm still deciding whether or not to poly the hardboard.






One more shot annnnnnnd...we're done. All that's left to do is load it up. I enjoyed building this project and it'll be a welcome addition to the shop.





I had mentioned in a previous post that I'd provide plans for The Shop Table. I've had these all along, but they really weren't ready for final distribution until now. I've made a few changes that I ran into as I was building and modified the cutting diagram to use standard boards (I originally made the diagrams based on the rough cut wood I already had). I also found a way to get the drawings I made into PDF format.

You are welcome to download, use and distribute these as long as you don't modify them in any way or sell them. I might also add that I made every attempt to ensure the accuracy and completeness of these drawings, however, they are being made available as-is without warranty or guarantee. And always remember to work safely.

The Shop Table Plans - (336kb PDF)

1 comment:

melly~ said...

Just checking in to see the progress. It's beautiful!
I'll make sure Ken checks back to see the finished project and snag the plans. Awesome, Scott!