Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Shop Table - Beginning the Finish

Finishing a project has never been my favorite thing to do. Anticipation of seeing the final result makes for a bit of excitement while I'm preparing the shop for this brilliant transformation. Of course, this fades within the first 5 minutes.
I chose a medium-dark stain for the cabinet called 'Gunstock' (aka 'Mission Oak'). I say chose, but actually, I bought this awhile ago for another project and had a pretty good idea of how it was going to look.

Here's a few pictures of the stained pieces. I basically flood on a coat of stain, let it sit for a few minutes then wipe off the excess, blending as much as possible. This helps with getting an even coverage.



The pictures don't accurately show the color, but it gives you some idea. As you can see, I've already put the shop table to work. It's the perfect size to store the doors while they dry.




Here's a shot of a drawer front...again with the color. I think I need some better lighting in the shop for pictures.





And another drawer.








I'm pleased with the color. The next step will be to apply a couple coats of a wipe-on poly.
A quick update on the top. We had a nice day (no rain) yesterday, so I got the material. As soon as the finish is, well, finished, I'll get started on that.

No comments: